The Acer Iconia Tab a500 has only been out a few days, and we did a breakdown of the new tablet here. Already Slowie911 from XDA Developer’s Forum has posted a root for the dual core tablet, and it’s a very simple solution! The modified apk file is courtesy of monki-magic, and colbur87 had the original thread about the a500, which can be found here. I’ve used it on my Iconia Tab and it does work perfectly. Pics below! Now we’ll take you through the steps so that you can do it as well!
Rooting will void your warranty, and if not done properly can damage your device. gggadgets.com and the folks at XDA are not responsible for any damage/bricks/boot loops/cybernetic possession/etc.
Before You Begin:
- Sign up for XDA Developer’s Forum. It costs you nothing, and they deserve the traffic for all the hard work they do. you will also need to be a forum member to download the necessary software.
What You Will Need
- Your Acer Iconia Tablet
- XDA Membership
- Your USB Cable if you cannot download the .apk file to your Tab over wifi.
1. Make sure you have USB debugging turned on, and unknown sources selected.
2. You must have a micro SD card inserted.
3. Turn the tablet to portrait mode and lock it with the switch to keep it that way.
4. Download, install, and run the .apk file here. If you cannot download it directly to your tablet, you will need to copy the file via USB.
5. Once the apk file is installed, simply press the “root” button and let it run.
6. Wait for the procedure to complete. Your tab will reboot, and you will have root access.
If you’d like to unroot the device for any reason, simply run the Gingerbreak app again and select “Unroot”.
At this point I would recommend downloading Titanium Backup or AntTek App Manager and clearing off some of the Acer bloatware that came on the tab. I’m sure custom recovery will not be far behind, and once the Honeycomb source code is out maybe we’ll get some cool custom roms! Keep checking back with us, and we’ll let you know. You can also follow me on Twitter, and get the latest links to my posts. Thanks for tuning in.
Super User Installed
To subscribe, like us on Facebook