Verizon has confirmed this information, and the Galaxy Nexus is now official. It will release tomorrow at Verizon store for $299.99 on contract. You can start ordering online at 1 am EST. All we can say now it, it’s about time! Catch the full press release at the bottom of the post.
It’s been a long, hard wait for the Galaxy Nexus for US customers. Verizon has been very quiet about one of the most anticipated devices of the year. While several release date rumors have come and gone, the wait may be drawing to a close. Verizon-Authorized retailers quietly slipped this document to the Rootzwiki news team this morning, fingering a launch date of December 15th. As the document states, the “New launch date is 12/15. No product is to be sold or displayed until that date.”
That doesn’t make it sound like an imminent launch on the morrow. However, we also hear that this is going to be a “soft launch” meaning no pre-order period and no fanfare. Verizon, meanwhile, declines to say one way or another. The Galaxy Nexus has already launched in several countries around the globe, leaving the US market behind, possible until the end of the year. Recently, Best Buy accidentally sold a few units, and has been asking for them back. The reason? A software bug, which has apparently been delaying the launch. That “bug” could also be the inclusion of Google Wallet, a service for mobile payments, which was rumored to be left out of the US version of the device in favor of Verizon’s own mobile payment system. We’ll all be waking up tomorrow, and we’ll know for sure whether our Nexus dreams have come true.
GALAXY™ NEXUS™ BY SAMSUNG NOW AVAILABLE ON THE VERIZON WIRELESS 4G LTE NETWORK
First Smartphone to Combine Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and the Power of America’s Fastest, Most Reliable 4G Network
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless, Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) and Google™ announced Galaxy™ Nexus™ is available starting today in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
Customers can browse the Web, stream music and more at blazing speeds using the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network. Galaxy Nexus customers can enjoy access to the 4G LTE network in 190 markets covering over 200 million people across the United States, and fly through the Web with fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps within the 4G LTE Mobile Broadband coverage area.
Galaxy Nexus runs Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, which brings an entirely new look and feel to Android. Galaxy Nexus offers customers a redesigned user experience with improved multi-tasking, notifications, Near Field Communications (NFC) sharing with Android Beam™ and a full Web-browsing experience. The lock screen, home screen, phone app and everything in between have been rethought and redesigned to make Android simple, beautiful and useful. Galaxy Nexus also features an ultra-thin 9.47mm design with a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ Contour Display to watch movies, view pictures and play games that come to life in 720p (1280×720) resolution.
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) features:
- Redesigned user interface – software navigation buttons, a first for Android smartphones, and a dedicated recent apps button to make multi-tasking easy
- Face Unlock – use state-of-the-art facial recognition to unlock Galaxy Nexus
- Android Beam™ – quickly share Web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping two compatible phones together
- Redesigned Camera – introduces panorama mode, 1080p video capture, zero-shutter lag for instant photo capturing, and effects such as silly faces and background replacement
- People Application – browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+ and other social networks
- Cloud Services – keep email, contacts, photos, music, browser bookmarks and other data synced to the cloud, available across multiple devices so customers never lose important data
- Google Music – upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud, discover and buy new music from Android Market™, and stream it instantly on Galaxy Nexus and from the Web for free
- Google+ – Create a Google+ account right from the phone and check status updates, manage circles, quickly share updates and photos, video chat with up to ten friends with Mobile Hangouts, and chat with groups of friends with Google+ Messenger
- Support for Google Mobile™ Services – Gmail™, Google Maps™ with 3D maps and free turn-by-turn navigation, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube, syncing with Google Calendar™, a redesigned Google+ app and access to more than 300,000 apps, millions of eBooks, thousands of movies to rent, and millions of songs available to download from Android Market
- Dual-core 1.2 GHz application processor and HTML5 Web browser – optimized dual-core processing with Android 4.0 combined with lightning fast 4G LTE connectivity for fast downloading of graphics, applications processing and Web browsing
- Mobile Hotspot capability – share 4G LTE or 3G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- 5-megapixel rear-facing camera with zero-shutter lag for instant photo capturing, autofocus and LED flash with full 1080p recording
- Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat
- Textured soft-touch back cover – enhances the ergonomic feel and makes the phone slip-resistant
- Bluetooth® 3.0 technology – support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, human interface device (HID) and object push for vCard and vCalendar
- 1 GB RAM and 32 GB on-board memory (actual formatted capacity will be less)
Pricing and data packages:
- Galaxy Nexus is available now in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Customers that purchase a Galaxy Nexus by Samsung will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
Customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/galaxynexus for more information on the Galaxy Nexus. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.